Foodie Friday: Butter Beer


  Welcome to my new feature, y'all! One of the things I like to do besides read is cook and bake! In an effort to tie these two passions together, I'm starting a monthly feature here on Pretty Little Pages. Each month, I'll feature a recipe that is either inspired by a book or from a book. Eat, drink, and be merry!

Butter Beer from Harry Potter
  One of the things that I really loved about the Harry Potter series was the atmosphere. It didn't matter if I was at the Dursley's, Hogwarts, or Hogsmeade, I could feel it. One of my favorite places from the world of Harry is Hogsmeade. In an effort to bring the Hog's Head Inn to life, I've found a recipe for Butter Beer that I'm going to make.

The Recipe

1 cup light or dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
6 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
1/2 teaspoon rum extract
Four 12-ounce bottles cream soda

In a small saucepan over medium, combine the brown sugar and water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring often, until the mixture reads 240 F on a candy thermometer.

Stir in the butter, salt, vinegar and 1/4 heavy cream. Set aside to cool to room temperature.

Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the rum extract.

In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar mixture and the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Use an electric mixer to beat until just thickened, but not completely whipped, about 2 to 3 minutes.

To serve, divide the brown sugar mixture between 4 tall glasses (about 1/4 cup for each glass). Add 1/4 cup of cream soda to each glass, then stir to combine. Fill each glass nearly to the top with additional cream soda, then spoon the whipped topping over each.

The Result

  Well, it certainly wasn't what I had in mind for Butter Beer. The recipe that I used (the one listed above) was totally off. It calls for way too much salt, and I really think the salt overpowered the taste of anything else with this drink. I would add just a pinch instead of ½ teaspoon like the recipe calls for. Better luck next time? Or maybe it's time to just splurge on that trip to Harry Potter World for the beau and I to get the real thing!

Have you made Butter Beer before? What recipe did you use?
Better yet, have you had the real thing at Harry Potter World? 
(Tell me about it so I can be jealous!)

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...tempted to try it but I don't know. Definitely want to go to Harry Potter World myself! Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who calls it that too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the only thing I will call it! If you try it, look for a different recipe! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...