Author Interview: C.E. Wilson

Yesterday, I reviewed C.E. Wilson's Much Ado About Nothing, a modernized retelling of the Shakespeare classic. I was fortunate enough to get to pick C.E.'s brain about her inspirations and upcoming stories. I hope everyone enjoys learning more about C.E. just as much as I did!

Interview:
 1). Where did your inspiration for rewriting Shakespeare's works come from?

I took a class in college when I was going for my undergrad. We literally had to read at least one Shakespeare play a week and I really thought I would hate it. However, the professor was amazing and didn’t cover the ‘popular’ and well-known plays so it wasn’t like we were talking about the three-thousand different interpretations of Macbeth or Hamlet. I felt like I really understood Shakespeare and I wanted to challenge myself by trying to make his work more readable just like that professor had done for me.

2). Which is your favorite piece of Shakespeare's work? Why?

I think my favorite is Much Ado About Nothing. It lends itself so well to being a timeless piece. The relationship between Beatrice and Benedict is just something I think anyone can relate. We all have that person in our lives who we love almost as much as we can’t stand. I just think it’s his most timeless piece and the reason I wanted to try and tackle this play first.

3). Shakespeare aside, which other authors do you draw inspiration from?

I’m a huge fan of DeviantArt. There are so many wonderful authors, photographers, artists, etc. so you can always inspiration there. There’s always a picture, a quote, or a design which gets the wheels in my head turning.

4). When did you discover your passion for writing?

I’ve enjoyed writing since I was a kid but I never thought I had a chance to try and make a career out of it. I used to write stories for myself but I was terrified of letting anyone else see them. Your writing is like your baby and you don’t want anyone insulting your child. 

5). What's your writing process? Where's your favorite place to write?

Writing process? Usually I sit down at the computer and say ‘I’m going to write today’ and just kind of start going. I have about four or five stories sitting around on my computer at all times to work on and if I don’t feel like writing, I have some friends who like to help me brainstorm. My favorite place to write is my office. It’s a tiny, tiny little room in the corner of my house and it is literally filled with my computer, my chair and about 1,000 volumes of my favorite manga.

6). Which book do you think everyone should read at least once in their life?

I could never answer that question because I don’t think there’s a be all, says all, does all book for me. I read everything from shoujo manga to Stephen King, children’s fantasy to erotica. I just enjoy reading. I suppose that’s the only thing I would say to people. You should read…even if you’re convinced that you don’t like it or whatever. There’s always something out there for everyone.

7). What's next for you? Any upcoming book releases we should be looking out for?

Haha, yeah I have a few things in the works. My next book for the Shakespeare for Everyone Else is another dark comedy called All’s Well that Ends Well and after that I’m sending Romeo and Juliet to my editor for a first run-through. Outside of this series, I have another standalone novel being sent to the editor at the end of the month called This is Me. And while I don’t want to give too much away just yet, it is going to be a YA science-fiction story and I’m pretty proud of it and can’t wait to send it out to readers.

Find Much Ado About Nothing on: Goodreads | Amazon
Connect with C.E. Wilson on: Goodreads | Amazon | Twitter | Facebook | DeviantArt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...