Review: Sleepless by Tracey Ward

Rating: 5/5 
Genres: Young Adult, New Adult, Paranormal Romance


Blurb:
My name is Alex Mills and I have a superpower.

Don't be jealous, it sucks. I can't control it. My mind is a mutinous SOB that takes over when I go to sleep. I'm just a girl trying to get some shut eye while it decides to throw a rager that can land me just about anywhere in the world.

The base of the Eiffel Tower.
The shore on the coast of Ireland.
The third baseline at Wrigley Field.

Sounds exciting and fun right? Wrong. My not so superpower is unpredictable, uncontrollable and annoying as hell. It's also how I met Nick.

Every cloud has a silver lining. Nick is mine.

Nick is extraordinary as well. He can't feel fear. Never has, never will. It's worked out for him as a PJ in the Air Force, one of the most dangerous jobs in the military, but where it's not helpful is with his social skills. Nick is cold, distant and apathetic.

He's also my hero. And if he's to be believed, I'm his.

I first met him when he died and that wasn't even the weirdest moment of our relationship. Neither is this moment here and now, trapped together in an island prison on the Behring Sea. It's a long, strange story between his death and this prison. One full of sheep, docks, Jabberwocks and a very special stone. I could tell it to you if you'd like to hear it. I've got time...
- Sleepless on Goodreads

 Review:
  After reading this book, I can safely say that I take sleeping for granted. Every night whenever Alex Mills falls asleep, she doesn't know if she'll wake up in her bed or "slip" to some other place. Alex takes this with more ease than I could. Fast forward to her twentieth birthday celebration, and this story takes a crazy turn. Alex stumbles upon Nick who up and disappears into thin air. This sets up an undeniably epic romance that teases you with it's tension the entire length of the book.


  One of my main pet peeves is insta-love. Tracey Ward flawlessly avoids this cliche. The romance is definitely there between Alex and Nick. But it's a slow build up. It's realistic. (In a world that's entirely not. Shh.) The emotions shown by the two characters are very real and raw. There is so much character building from the first page to the last. These are not cookie cutter characters, and I promise you will get just as invested in them as I. Even the characters that are minor find their own voices and leave an impression. But the romance... It's perfect.


  The concept of Sleepless is seriously unlike any other book I've read. At first, I was confused. But very early on, you're drawn in as Tracey builds the world around you so effortlessly. The scenes at the dock were my favorite. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but the dock scenes are what set this story apart from others for me. The ending is very fitting, too. It's fast paced, and you will not be able to stop until you've devoured this book. 


  I just want to tag this onto the end of this review. Nick is in the Air Force. I'm not sure where Tracey got her intel from, but it's spot-on. I have a friend who went through SpecOps training, and I'll admit that I was hesitant whenever I saw that Nick was training to be a PJ. But nope, Tracey delivers Nick's journey through training flawlessly without making the military aspect of the story overwhelming.

  This is one of my favorite reads. It's paced perfectly, and I promise you will not put it down. I'd recommend Sleepless to any fan of YA. All of Tracey Ward's books are outstanding, and this is another example of that.

Find Sleepless on: Goodreads | Amazon
Connect with Tracey Ward on: Goodreads | Facebook | Author Website 

4 comments:

  1. Heehee I love your Bernard Black gifs. I read and absolutely loved this book too. The romance in this was perfect to me, it was slow building and I found it believable. I can't wait for the sequel! :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Black Books and Bernard! I am such a fangirl for Tracey's writing. I cannot wait for the sequel, either. :)

      Delete
  2. I love your review! I haven't heard of this book before, but I'm definitely adding it to my TBR list right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love this book. It's one of my favorites. If you like it, be sure to check out Tracey's other books. She's an amazing writer!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...